BMD – Saxony-Anhalt’s First Contact Point in Life Science Business
Description of the Biotechnology landscape in Saxony-Anhalt:
• 60 Biotech and Pharmaceutical Companies
• 6,300 Employees, 1,5 billion Euro turnover
• 2 Universities, 3 Universities of Applied Science,
• 10 Research Institutes (Max-Planck, Leibniz, Fraunhofer, Leopoldina, Helmholtz)
• Lead Investors: Bayer, BASF, Merz, Sandoz/Novartis, IDT, Dow
• Close Cross-Border Cooperation
• Topics: Therapies & Diagnostics, Plant Biotechnology, Biopharmaceuticals
Topics of the biotechnological and pharmaceutical cluster of Saxony-Anhalt:
• ln recent years the red biotechnology experienced a very robust profile with a strong research base, competitive research teams and emerging companies.
• With an increasing technology transfer and a very dynamic development Saxony-Anhalt has also a focus in the biopharmaceutical development and production and
turns more and more from an attractive production location to an innovative location for the development of biopharmaceutical products and services.
• The plant biotechnology is a field of excellence with a long tradition and powerful research base.
• With the development of the Chemical and Biotechnological Process Center (CBP) at the chemical site Leuna, the industrial use of renewable resources comes into
focus by established chemical and new biotech companies.
We, BMD GmbH, are an association of companies and research institutions in the field of biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry in Saxony-Anhalt. Our goal is to maximize the competitiveness in research, business incubation, technology transfer and regulation. We cooperate with different partners in the regional area and in Germany.
Activities of the BMD:
• Knowledge & Technology Transfer
(coordination of networks, business matchmaking, business meets research)
• Location Marketing
(event management, trade fairs, conferences, workshops)
• PR & Communication
(press tours, press conferences, PR strategies, monitoring, surveys)
• Education & Training
(coordination of projects for inter-company practical training, support for the pupils Iab “Green Laboratory Gatersleben”, career orientation of students, collaboration with student initiatives, workshops for postgraduate students and researchers in science communication)