CapSenze offers two analytical platforms that each represents unique analytical performance. One is a capacitive biosensor with extreme sensitivity – limit of detection ranging from 10-18 to 10-20 moles per liter (M) for different analytes. The useful operational concentration range is 10-15 – 10-18 M.
The other platform, VersAFlo, involves a fully integrated flow-injection system for bioprocess monitoring and control.
Capacitive biosensor: The concept is simple: on an insulated metal surface affinity binders are immobilized. When applying a current pulse, one can register the capacitance between the sensor surface and counter ion layer in the medium. When an analyte binds, this layer is displaced leading to a reduction in the capacitance. This value is registered and compared to values of standard solutions.
A range of substances have been monitored with high sensitivity and good accuracy:
• microbial toxins (cholera, enterotoxin, endotoxin, microcystins etc.)
• viral capsid proteins, e.g. p24 from HIV (this work is done in collaboration with FDA in the USA
• Specific DNA-sequences corresponding to resistance genes or other important identification tags
• Bioindicators for e.g. some forms of cancer
• Environmental pollutants: heavy metal ions
• A range of proteins (e.g. BSA, PSA) using microcontact imprinting
• Food pollutants, e.g. mycotoxins, pesticides
Potential areas of applications: academic research; clinical diagnostics (HIV, multiresistance etc.); food – and water quality analyses; biological warfare
A flow-injection system with integrated sampling, sample handling, analysis and data evaluation. This is a versatile analytical system that has been used for:
• monitoring production of intracellular proteins
• optimizing addition of inducer in cultivations of clones proteins
• on-line monitoring of quality of monoclonal antibodies during continuous processing
• immunochemical binding assays
• environmental pollutants
CapSenze can offer:
• unique equipment with extremely good performance
• tailor-made sensor-chips for capacitive biosensor
• development of custom-specific assays
• flow injection system for monitoring bioprocesses
• a unique sampling device for on-line sampling
• tailor-made sensor devices
• design of analytical protocols for bioprocess monitoring
• partner in international research collaborations, e.g. EU, World bank
Areas of applications: monitoring bioprocesses in biopharmaceutical industry, in fermentation industry; food processing; water quality monitoring etc.