ModPro AB is a biotechnology company located in Uppsala, specializing in the enhancement of small molecule and peptide candidate drugs and drugs. ModPro develops own CDs to the late preclinical and phase 1 level in the areas of diabetes and oncology, and collaborates with large pharmaceutical companies on projects in drug discovery and drug development in these and other indication areas. ModPro builds longterm relationships with pharmaceutical companies through collaborative projects, assisting in the rescue of small molecule projects at various stages of the drug development process, developing in house know how and competence as well as highly competent professional networks. ModPro is a chemical company, cell based as well as animal studies in own projects are carried out in collaborations with highly regarded academic partners.
ModPro has developed a unique and unprecedented chemical technology to enhance drug performance. New chemical entities with improved pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties are formed from small molecules and peptides of pharmaceutical interest. Dramatically increased affinities and selectivities for protein targets in combination with controlled biodistribution improves drug potency, effect duration and safety for the benefit of patient quality of life.
ModPro launched its first product on the market in 2007 in the area of diagnostics and has since entered into several commercial projects with international biotech and pharmaceutical companies as well as reagent companies. Joint scientific publications from projects in the pharmaceutical field of application are underway.
ModPro milestone achievements:
• In vitro affinities for protein targets increased 1000- to 10000-fold
• In vitro selectivities for homologous proteins where small molecules can not discriminate increased 10- to 100-fold
• Potency in vivo increased 1000-fold
• Improved biodistribution in vivo of multikinase inhibitor, eliminating active substance in non-targeted organs
• Increased effect duration in vivo
• Increased survival times in serum of peptide drugs
Key ModPro applications:
• Increasing potency and effect duration of drugs
• Increasing survival times in serum of peptide drugs
• Rescuing drugs that failed due to drug related toxicity or poor efficacy
• Improving drug biodistribution, reducing severe adverse side effects
• Medical imaging and radioimmunotherapy
• Target validation
• High throughput screening
The ModPro technology offers interesting IP opportunities. ModPro AB enjoys full freedom to operate.
L. T. Tegler et al. Angew Chemie Int Ed. 2011, 50, 1823-1827.
L Baltzer. Anal Bioanal Chem, 2011, 400, 1653-1664.
R. Ramapanicker et al. Bioconjugate Chem 2013, 24, 17-25.