Stem Sel s.r.l.
Stem Sel, a new firm for cellular biotechnologies
Today cellular biotechnology can rely on a brand new Italian excellence: Stem Sel. We present an innovative and efficient method to select stem cells. We are a university spinoff founded November 2013. Our business then is at its startup phase. Its core activity bases on creating and developing novel, proprietary technologies to decline them into products able to select stem cells from adult tissues with the highest potential, also for future medical use.
Our first product, the brand new device “Celector”, will significantly improve applications in the field of cellular biotechnologies targeted to stem cell therapies.
Celector, the revolutionary idea
Celector is our first product based on our proprietary methodology that isolates and sorts stem cells without immunotags. The novel methodology cellects cells due to their physical differences only. This absence of immunotags is the unique feature of celector and it avoids possible cell alteration, and it helps cells keeping their native, regenerative power.
Novelty and unique features of Celector make Stem Sel a potential leader in the industry of technologies and tools for cell treatments. Celector aims to change the operational framework of stem cell characterization and production in R&D labs, cell banks, cell factories and, in the future, in clinics.
Stem cells, a booming market
Stem cell market is constantly expanding, also because of the progressive aging of population. Such an expansion comes together with the increasing incomes of the “emerging economies” (firstly, Asian countries). The use of stem cells is also increasingly requested by pharmaceutical industry to develop and test new pharmaceuticals.
Recent surveys forecast cell market increasing, by 2018, of more than 25%, with a business worth 120 billion dollars. Within stem cell market, the market sector of technologies and tools for cell treatment is also rapidly increasing, and it is expected to reach in two years a global turnover of 2.5 billion dollars. Stem Sel is then well positioned in the global market and, if properly supported, it might soon reach a leading position.
(2012) 1st position at StartCup 2013, business plan competition won by Stem Sel between 52 projects, selected by investors and a committee of experts in high technology content companies.
(2012) UK Trade Investment’s UKIT Entrepreneur Award for business internationalization
(2012) ItaliaCamp – Celector is winning idea of regional phase, and it was presented January 2014 to the Presidence of Governement Council at the event “Your Idea for the Country”.
(2013) Intel Business Challenge’s European phase
“…. talked about Celector”, at the Rizzoli Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Laboratory of Biomechanics & Technological Innovation: “…..no one actually knows exactly what and how much you inject in cell treatments, while the quantity and quality of MSCs is a fundamental condition. It’s essential that cells are not marked. Celector would have a decisive advantage compared to competitors….”.
Prometeo Laboratory: “…..using Celector the quality of cells results better than the ones obtained by reference techniques using tag or enzymes. When Celector will be available it will be very interesting tool for tissue banks…..”.
Ramses Laboratory: “……whoever does experiments in which cellular response is a very important element knows that it is essential to maintain cells intact. This is one of the main reasons for the interest in technologies for tag-less cell enrichment. Application of Celector to stem cells is significant because all others alternatives are based on immunomarking. Costs should be an additional advantage of using Celector……”
Prof. Pierluigi Reschiglian President/CEO
Prof. Barbara Roda, Project Manager/CTO
Prof. Andrea Zattoni, CFO
Kristel Martinelli, Product Engineer
Incubator (AlmaCube Ltd)
Martina di Venere, Product Manager
Martina Rossi, Quality Engineer
Pietro Matiazzi, Electronic Engineer
Niccolò Dionisi, Software Engineer
THE PRODUCT: CELECTOR
Why Celector ?
Cells extracted from tissues are introduced into the Celector to separate and isolate stem cells from all cells composing tissue, and sort the “most potent” stem cells through a proprietary methodology that, if compared to analog technologies, does not manipulate the cells at all. These “super cells” can be then reimplanted in the patient to reconstruct damaged tissue such as cartilage, tendons, bone, epithelium, blood and neurotissues. With the Celector you can use your own cells to rebuild damaged tissues (autologous application without risk of rejection). This is key factor allows to pass regulatory restrictions and to select/sort stem cells for which there are not efficient technologies on the market. Existing technologies, Fluorescence/magnetic-activated cell sorting (FACS/MACS), manipulate cells using immunomarkers, that are often not available to efficiently select multipotent stem cells (MSCs).
1. Processed cells → umbilical cord (Whaton’s Jely), dental pulp mesenchymal stem cells, peripheral blood mononuclear cells, platelets, leukemia/mammalian tumor lines, raw cellular samples as lipoaspirates, placenta and whole blood.
2. Number of sorted cells → from 3.105 to 106
3. Fractionation time → about 30 minutes
4. Cell purity → highest degree of removal of clusters, cellular debris and impurities from cellular samples.
5. Increased differentiation potential of cells → best cell commitment of the fractionated cells (highest ability of stem cells to differentiate into specialized cells), also in case of stem cells already isolated by flask culture (which is the standard procedure to isolate pluripotent cells).
“Lab”- “medical device”-“clinical” VERSIONS & related CUSTOMERS
A. “Lab” version
Costumers: LABORATORIES FOR CELL QUALITY CONTROL:
1. Research laboratories of public and private institutions
2. QC laboratories of biotech pharmaceutical industries, cell factories, cell banks, clinics.
B. “Medical device” version
Costumers: CLINICAL TRIALS OF CELL BANKS AND CELL FACTORIES:
1. Celector is ideally positioned for its ability to select and characterize cell subpopulations without any manipulation for GMP certificated products
C. “Clinical” version
Costumers: HOSPITALS, AMBULATORIES AND CLINICS:
1. Regenerative surgery
2. Cosmetic and reconstructive surgery
1. Autosampler: Cells are injected into Celector in order to separate and isolate stem cells from the whole sample, and/or sort the cells that present the most stemness proprieties but not manipulating cells at all.
2,4. Pump, valves and capillaries made of biocompatible material for fluidic management.
3. Fluid reservoirs. (a) Biocompatible fluid for the transport of cells to be separated (mobile phase), (b) Cleaning solution, (c) Coating solution (biochemical coating of channel internal wall).
5. Capillary fractionation device: Separation starts here, into a capillary channel. Natural forces acting on cells, that produce separation, are Earth Gravity and Hydrodynamic lift forces, and mopho/biophysical properties of cells. In this way different cells can be collected at different times. As hydrofoils glides on the water for the same physical principles, cells glide through the separation device.
Single/Multi-channel option: one/many narrow channels
Both channel options and the tubing set can be used in a DISPOSABLE way.
6. Optical detection system. It is interfaced with the fraction collector to select and count “real time” the fractions of cells of interest. Cells
7. Fraction collector. Cells fractions are collected in tubes, flasks or well plates for specifics use.